Passwords not working after migration from vBulletin to Xenforo

weberswerner

Registered

Hello guys,

first of all I want to thank you all for this extremely helpful board with all the offerings, that already helped me a lot!!

I successfully installed XF 2.2.13 including the current Importer 1.5. I finished the migration process from vBulletn 4.2 successfully BUT I have the following problem.
Users with difficult passwords with special chars (like &("/§%$) within their passwords cannot login. They always get the message "incorrect password".

I did a lot of research about this problem and it seems like Xenforo has a problem with regenerating password salts/hashes after migration.
Users with normal passwords with only letters and numbers dont have any problems logging in, it just happens with difficult passwords with special characters. I found the following workaround for the file /src/XF/Authentication/vbulletin.php - the idea with this workaround is, to avoid Xenforo converting the "old" vbulletin password to a new XF model of password and instead just using the old fashioned passwords from vbulletin. But it didn't work for me, the workaround looks like that:
//$userHash = $this->createHash($password, $this->data['salt']);
//return hash_equals($this->data['hash'], $userHash);
return password_verify($password, $this->data['hash']);
I find a lot of people having this problem after migration, but not really a working fix out there. Some just force their users to use the "forgot password"-link, but I don't like this kind of solution and I would be happy to get a proper fix.

Happy and open to any solution from you guys, thanks a lot in advance!

werner